quarta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2017

Depression....the millenial boogie man (part 1)

So today I found a few videos about depression and it made me want to talk about it. I’m 28 and I was diagnosed with depression when I was 21. I realized today that I’ve been dealing with this for  years…maybe it’s not long but for me it sounds like forever. 
I have told a total of 3 people in my friends circle about my illness. Outside my mother and maternal grandparents nobody knows I have it. I’m that good at keeping a facade. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad one but I do believe that most of us that are depressed have the ability to hide it very well. Not because we want to but because we feel the need to. 
Depression and mental illnesses are the Bogey man of the 21st century. It seems like if you don’t mention it it won’t appear. But hey let’s talk about!
I’ve heard some say that depression is a way to ask for attention so let’s make this clear. One of the main characteristics of this illness is the need to distance yourself from others. Sometimes reality is too much for the person to handle it and you just want to get in a quiet corner and be alone. Does it sound like attention seeking? 
The main problem with depression is that there is a need to be alone but also the need to have support. You want someone to help you but you don’t know how to ask. That feeling of helplessness and the little voice that keeps pointing out to you that you’re not good enough at whatever you do is what brings you down. Imagine if all the mean comments you’ve ever heard in your life kept replaying in you head over and over…wouldn’t you feel bad about yourself too?
This is one of the things depression has taught me: be kind. The ugly words echo in your head forever and always rise up when you’re feeling worst. Don’t give someone more ammunition that they already have. It might be what makes them want to call quits…
I think for now it’s enough….I might have a part 2 soon…hope I haven’t bore anyone with this.
Be safe and feel free to comment and inbox me if you feel like it :)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário